Return to the Table of Contents
- Whitfield, C. L. (1987). Healing the child within: Discovery and recovery for
adult children of dysfunctional families. Health Communications Inc., Deerfield Beach , FL. (ISBN 0-932194-40-0)
Classic book on "inner child" feelings. This book, written primarily for
people who grew up in dysfunctional families, contains valuable insights for people with weight control issues. The
book discusses in depth and with sensitivity the issues of self-esteem, self-sabotage, trust and caring in relationships,
conflict-avoidance, caring too much for others and not for ourselves, and using a "substance" (e.g., alcohol or
food) as a coping mechanism.
- Ellis, A., et al. (1975). A new guide to rational living. Wilshire Book Co.,
North Hollywood, CA. (ISBN 0-87980-042-9)
Excellent for going beyond "inner child" feelings and developing adult
- A gift to myself. Workbook and guide to "Healing the child
within". Charles Whitfield, M.D., 1990
- The courage to heal. Ellen Bass and Laura Davis, 1988.
- The courage to heal workbook. Laura Davis, 1990.
- When Bad Things Happen to Good People, Harold Kushner, Schocken Books, New York, 1981.
This book is extremely helpful for people seeking to find peace in themselves, with God,
and in a world where they have suffered or have been abused or violated. The book is very uplifting, and
shows how to cope with emotional pain and loss. It presents a conceptualization
of God that is loving and nurturing, and not critical or punitive as a way of better accepting ourselves and our
place in the world.
Fax: (855) 999-0220
Services offered via telepsych:
Zoom, FaceTime, WhatsApp, GoToMeeting, Google Meet, MS Teams
Our mailing address:
3860 West Naughton Ave.
Belmont, CA 94002
• Meet our Clinicians
• Learn About Patient Services
• Learn About Provider Services
• Learn About CaseKeepers
Online Therapy Journal
• Log in to CaseKeepers
• Request an Appointment
• Request Information
• Fees and Insurance
• Make a Referral
How to Choose a Psychotherapist
Pay An Invoice
Copyright© 2013-2023 Bay Area Health Psychology. All rights reserved.
This website is for informational purposes only. Information offered in this website does not constitute a professional relationship, advice, or service with or from Bay Area Health Psychology, its providers or affiliates.